5 Nov 2011

Banoffee whoopie pies...

So last week it was half term at school and I had some time to get my bake on.
I got the new hummingbird bakery cook book for my birthday and I had been anxious to try one of the many whoopie recipes.
I saw the banoffee pie one and this seemed appealing as it's a fav dessert of mine to bake.
It was quite easy and I was pleased with the result, although they tasted best on the day.
Also I find it difficult to make them pretty and round and equal so I cute the ones into hearts to be photographed - it did waste a bit of the pie, but it looks so much better.

I was pleased with the staging on this pic until my sis tells me that (and she is married to a picture buff) for it to be a good picture the jars should be in the shot fully. Oh well.

And here's how they're made:

for the sponge:
1 large egg
150g Caster sugar
125g Plain yogurt
25ml milk
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
75g Unsalted butter, melted
275g Plain Flour
3/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
2 bananas.

For the filling: - these are hummingbirds measurements and I found I had way to much (Only needed about 1/2 to 2/3rds of this)

170g Unsalted butter, softened
280g Icing sugar
220g Vanilla marshmallow fluff (this can be hard to source and expensive in the UK, so even though I used it this time next time I will experiment with melted marshmellow or just icing)
2tbsp Tinned caramel  (dulce de leche)

 Method:
Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir together the yogurt milk and vanilla in a jug, then add this gradually to the egg mixture mixing until combined. Add the melted butter and mix again.
Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and Cinnamon, then add this to the liquid ingredients in 2 batches, mixing well after each addition. Break up the bananas into small rough pieces, then stir into the batter by hand.  Put the batter in the fridge and allow to cool and set for 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170 deg C and line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
Remove the batter from the fridge and spoon onto the trays in 3-5cm diameter mounds, making 16-20 in total leaving space between each for expansion. Bake in the oven for 10 - 13 mins or until golden and springy to the touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

While the sponges are cooking make the filling. Using the electric whisk, mix together the butter and icing sugar, add the marshmellow fluff and continue to beat on a high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the caramel and then place in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up slightly. 
When the sponges are cold spread the flat side of one with a generous helping of filling and sandwich together with another sponge. Assemble the remaining sponges. 

(Recipe copied from this blog)  



So have a go and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm soooo jealous of your fluff, I wish I had some to bake with right now! I will tell By his new nickname is the picture buff! haha...these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. thanks for linking up to my blog! so glad I found your blog too. I wasn't to keen on them the next day but I think that's what happens when I cook with Banana in general.

    as for the fluff I so wish it was cheaper to buy over here but melted marshmellow works too, if a little sticky

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of the comments - they fuel my blog. Thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...