3 Aug 2014

Recipe: Oreo and mint aero ice-cream


So its no secret that I am obsessed with ice-cream.
Its my fav sweet treat for sure.
I love cookie dough or caramel fudge or oreo cornettos.
Basically anything with a vanilla base and plenty of chocolatey goodies.
Apparantly August in National ice-cream month (it figures, I guess, since its holiday season) and the ice-cream maker we received as a wedding gift finally fits into our freezer and so I was keen to try it out.
So when I spotted this recipe for Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and Oreo ice-cream I knew I had to give it a go. However I had to modify it a bit for the ingredients we have in England - plus I prefer mint flavour to peanut butter. No offense to my bro-in-law who is obsessed with everything peanut butter!

So here is my recipe and method: (adapted from Juggling Act Mama's blog)

Ingredients:

1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups of heavy cream
1 package of oreo cookies, crushed
1 share size bag of mint aero bubbles, crushed
 
Method:-
  1. This recipe works perfectly for a 6-cup ice cream maker. Before starting, be sure your freezer bowl has been in the freezer for at least 6 hours. (I left mine in over night.)
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Gently stir in the heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
  3. Meanwhile, crush the Oreo cookies and aero bubbles - place them in a mixing bowl and use the bottom of a cup to crush. Break up the mixture using a fork if needed.
  4. Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until it begins to thicken, about 15 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture.
  5. Carefully add in a little of the mix ins at a time.
  6. Use a spatula to scoop the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze for about 2 hours so that the ice cream hardens thoroughly.
Notes
  1. Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week (if it lasts that long!)

 If I am honest I found that the ice-cream was still a bit runny - more like the consistency of a milkshake - but it was fine as I like it like that. Any tips on how to make it firmer?


So in the words of Craig David...tell me what's ya flava?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all of the comments - they fuel my blog. Thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...